This antioxidant-rich soup freezes easily so you can prepare it ahead for the week. Roasting the sweet potatoes before simmering will make the flavors more pronounced.
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jar (12 oz) roasted red peppers, chopped, liquid reserved
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 – 4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock cube blended with hot water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 oz cream cheese
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft. Add in the red peppers, green chiles, cumin, salt and coriander. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved juice from the roasted red peppers, sweet potatoes and vegetable stock cube.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander and lemon juice.
- Let the soup cool slightly and place half the soup into a blender along with the cream cheese and blend until smooth, then return to the pan and heat through.